Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Generator Interlock Kit On Cutler Hammer Br Panel



Hi -
I think I Have a Cutler Hammer BR series panel (I need to look closer to be sure). I understand that some other brands sell replacement panel covers that have a generator interlock built into them but I can't find one for Cutler Hammer BR panels.
Do they make one?
I know I can buy a kit to add the interlock but it would be nicer to have a factory installed interlock.
Also, there's a picture of my panel below. My panel seems to be installed upside down from other pictures I've seen on the internet. Any problems with that?
Thanks!

There is no right side or upside down on a panel where the breaker moves sideways.
The interlock will still need to be installed to interlock the breaker in positions 24.
The panel label will tell you the brand and style of panel.
Eaton Cutler-Hammer should have an interlock in their catalog.

I think this is the part number you are looking for:
BRCOV30G1FM
Here is the catalog page to verify it is correct for you panel:
http://www.platt.com/CutSheets/Eaton...lockCovers.pdf
I went with the factory parts on my CH panel too. The aftermarket units are cheaper, but it makes the inspections go easier with the factory parts not to mention that big UL Listed sticker on it.

Wow! Thanks, guys. That's exactly the information I needed. Thanks so much! I don't know why I couldn't find that catalog on my own - and my local supply store never called me back so I guess they aren't interested in selling it. That's ok though because with your help I found it online for the same price as the drill-holes-in-your-panel-and-install-the-aftermarket interlock kit... Except it has a 28 day lead time for ordering. That's ok, I'm not in a hurry.
Thanks again, guys!

Can you please tell me where you found that interlock? I need the same exact part for my panel..... But they're expensive!! And would you do it the same way again?

I haven't done this project yet and haven't ordered the part because of the long lead time. Ordering it from other suppliers was expensive...like $600 or something. I think when I do get around to it, I'll get the kit that screws on just because sourcing it seems easier.

Ordering it from other suppliers was expensive...like $600 or something.
Before I spent that much for an interlock kit, I would buy a transfer switch or transfer panel.

The screw on kit is $150.

And a transfer switch is a no-fail solution for one feed at a time, please.

I just found a screw on kit for $70. Yes, you get what you pay for, and I don't want ghetto.... But money talks. National Ram Electronics
does anyone have any experience with this or anything like it?

The problem with interlock kits is that not all areas will accept them. Most can be easily defeated by simply removing the panel cover. You need to check with BOTH your power company AND the local electrical inspection authority to see if an aftermarket interlock meets their requirements.

Here ya go:
BRCOV30G1FM - Eaton Cutler Hammer - COMBO STYLE MECHANICAL INTERLOCK COVER FOR BR3040B200
151.34 and UL listed.

Am I missing something? I saw nothing in the link to indicate the interlock could not be defeated by removing the cover.

I went though the same process until I found this site. I have a Challenger panel which is basically a Cutler-Hammer.
I used their design and fabricated my own out of a piece of 3/16 ABS Plastic.
********

The interlock should be a listed device, not one that someone has fabricated themselves or has not submitted for testing.

I'm not sure why you removed the link.
I'm not saying everyone should fabricate their own Interlock Kit.
This site sell what I believe to be Approved Interlock Kits for $69.
Am I wrong?
National Ram Electronics

I believe I emailed that site before and the brackets were not listed.

If they were UL listed components the manufacturer would proudly display that information. Many jurisdictions are adamant about ANY part of an electrical installation having a listing from either Underwriter's Laboratories or some other NRTL (Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory) before they will okay its use. Some go even farther in the case of circuit breaker interlocks and require that the interlock may not be able of being defeated by merely removing the panel cover.

I email them below is the Reply:
Hi,
The interlocks are not listed. They do meet the requirements of
Article 702 of the National Electrical Code ANSI/NFPA 70.
The only place you will get a UL approved interlock is from the manufacturer of the panel.
Thanks,
Chris Wiesner
National Ram Electronics






Tags: generator, interlock, cutler, hammer, panel, Cutler Hammer, from other, National Electronics, expensive like, expensive like something, factory parts, from other suppliers, from other suppliers expensive, from other suppliers expensive like