Monday, March 10, 2014

Garden Bench Repair



I want to replace the wood strips on my garden bench. The bench is one of those which has cast iron ends, with 12 wood strips/slats, 1 1/2 inches wide and 48 inches in length, and bolted on each end to the cast iron. What is the best wood to use? The original wood strips are 3/4 inches thick; I want to make the new ones 7/8ths or one inch thick for more ridgidity/durability. Any suggestions would be welcome

If the bench is exposed to the weather I would consider using treated lumber. If it is covered I would use whatever I thought would look nice. If you have access to a table saw and a planer [belt sander would work] you could take 2X's [1 1/2 ] and rip them to the desired thickness. If you use anything other than treated I would paint or stain and poly before installing. Easier and you can coat all edges.
Redwood, cedar and treated are the most weather resistant woods.

I have done exactly the same wood replacement to the same bench, 48 x 3/4 stock. I bought poplar, right on the shelf, 1x2 and cut them to 48 and bolted them on. Took 1 hour, cost minimal. No paint, no finish. Yes, it will darken and stain, so what. Works fine and will last years, (as long as the originals lasted, lol).
I think the original wood was merely stained oak. You can replace with oak if you like.
Nix on the 7/8. The bench has a steel center support and you will gain nothing but added expense looking for 7/8 stock.
If you want it to look pretty, then paint them before you put them on.
If you want an heirloom to pass on for generations to come, then use teak or redwood and clear coat them.
I don't recommend cca for furniture for health reasons.

If you like the appearance of oak, then white oak is a good choice as it is weather-resistant in the same manner as redwood. Red oak is not durable exposed to the weather because it is open-celled. Other good choices are ipe and spanish cedar.

C'mon guys, spend a buck. Watch for mahogany decking remnants on Craigslist. 1 X 6 is nice... buy cheap! Rip to size, cut to length - Good Luck with your project!






Tags: garden, bench, wood strips, cast iron, exposed weather, original wood